Skip to main content

Digital Maryland

About this collection

The James Wilfong Collection of the Prince George's County Historical Society consists of 169 architectural photographs collected between 1921 and 1987 by James C. Wilfong, Jr. of old houses, mansions, taverns (inns), churches, mills, slave quarters, hospital, and other structures built in Prince George's County between the early 17th century and the mid 20th century.

Browse collection

Collection Location: Prince George's County Historical Society

House near Nottingham, a two-and-one-half-story frame dwelling with gable roof, four dormers, and interior brick chimney probably built in the early 19th century in Prince George's County, Maryland. of Northampton slave quarters (brick), a one-and-one-half-story brick duplex dwelling built in the early 19th at the Northampton plantation near Largo in Prince George's County, Maryland. Elverton Hall, a two-and-one-half-story brick plantation house built in the mid 18th century near Collington in Prince George's County, Maryland.

Collection Overview: The James Wilfong Architectural Photographs Collection consists of 169 photographs thought to have been taken by James C. Wilfong, Jr. between 1921 and 1987. These photographs are of old houses, mansions, taverns (inns), churches, mills, slave quarters, hospital, and other dwellings built in Prince George's County between the early 17th century and the mid 20th century. Included in the collection are several that do not appear in the historical registries, such as Cherry House (pgjw163) and Bowie House (pgjw165), or still others identified only as Old House(s), whose history is not known.

James Chester Wilfong, Jr. was an avid photographer of old houses, former president of the Prince George's County Historical Society, and regularly wrote a column on historical houses for The Washington Post and The New York Times.

This project was made possible with the cooperation of Prince George's County Memorial Library System Maryland Room staff. Upon completion of the project in 2016, the photograph collection were transferred to the Prince George's County Historical Society.

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK