A selection of photographs documenting the history of Gilman School, and independent day school in Baltimore, Maryland.
Gilman School’s Archives Collection includes photographs documenting the history of Gilman School, an independent day school in Baltimore, Maryland for boys in grades kindergarten through twelve. Founded in 1897 as the nation’s first country day school, Gilman was originally named The Country School for Boys and resided in the Homewood Mansion (now part of Johns Hopkins University). The Country School for Boys was based on Anne Galbraith Carey’s vision that boys would benefit most by living at home while attending school in a country setting with rigorous classes in the morning, a hot meal for lunch, study hall, and sports in the afternoon. In 1910, The Country School moved to its current 68-acre campus in Roland Park and changed its name to The Gilman Country School for Boys in honor of Daniel Coit Gilman, the first president of Johns Hopkins University. In 1951, the "Country" was dropped, and the School became Gilman School. Today, Gilman is a diverse community that continues to educate boys in mind, body, and spirit through particular emphasis upon academic excellence, athletic participation and aesthetic appreciation. The School seeks to produce men of character and integrity who have the skills and ability to make a positive contribution to the communities in which they live and work.
To learn more, please visit the Gilman Archives website: https://www.gilman.edu/about/history/archives