A ledger from the Caroline County Almshouse, which housed the poor and infirmed. It primarily consists of intake, departure, and death records for the years 1901-1940.
This collection, from the Greensboro Historical Society, contains a Caroline County Almshouse Ledger covering the years 1901 t0 1940. In addition to the poor and homeless, almshouses also served the blind, chronically ill, epileptic, and disabled; and provided temporary assistance to transients. Many almshouses ran workhouses and overseers were appointed with the responsibility of their general management and to keep records on all persons in their care. This ledger focuses primarily on admittance, departure and death of the residents.
The first Almshouse in Caroline County was located on the Eastern Bank of the Choptank. It is thought to have been situated there from 1778-1780. The next almshouse was located on a six-acre tract of land known as Lloyd’s Regulation about one-half mile south of Denton toward Williston. In 1823, the property was sold at public auction and a 325 acre tract, known as George Garey Farm, was purchased for $2197.58 to allow for more room to farm.
This project was made possible by the Central Library staff of the Caroline County Public Library.