This collection contains 48 official photographs, taken by the Hughes Company between June 1931 and February 1933, from the George A. Fuller Company, contractors of the new Central Library building of the Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore, Maryland.
Collection Location: Special Collections Department; Enoch Pratt Free Library / State Library Resource Center
Collection Overview: This collection contains 48 official photographs, taken by the Hughes Company between June 1931 and February 1933, from the George A. Fuller Company, contractors for the new Central Library building of the Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore, Maryland. Designed in the Beaux Arts style by architects Clyde N. and Nelson Friz of Baltimore in association with Tilton & Githens of New York, the three-story building included such innovations as a sidewalk-level entrance and department store-style exhibit windows. Its great central hall, with its three-story sky-lit atrium and terrazzo floors, was decorated with the emblems of famous printers and publishers and with murals depicting Caxon and Gutenberg on the north and south walls, respectively. Its children’s room, with a separate entrance on Mulberry Street, included a fish pond and ceiling murals of favorite children’s stories inside and a sunken garden outside the children’s entrance. Included in the building also were a lecture hall, fine arts reading room, magazine reading room, a trustees room, and three stacks below the main level that allowed for easy access to stored books, journals, and other items.
Special thanks are due Sidney Levy for his expert help in preparing this collection.